Form 1098-T is a “Tuition Statement” that eligible educational institutions are required to provide to enrolled students who have reportable transactions. Information reported on Form 1098-T can assist taxpayers with determining their eligibility for education tax credits. Receiving a 1098-T form does not mean you are necessarily eligible for an education tax credit.
UCI furnishes an IRS Form 1098-T (Tuition Statement) to every student with a reportable transaction (such as a tuition payment) during the calendar year. You may receive a 1098-T even if you are no longer enrolled, or if you are an international student.
UCI contracts with TAB Service Company (TSC) to prepare 1098-Ts electronically. Students can consent online to access and download their 1098-T form electronically. If you do not provide an affirmative consent online, you will receive a paper copy of your 1098-T by mail to the address we have on file. 1098-T forms are electronically available for download and mailed by the last week of January. You will receive a courtesy notification from firstname.lastname@example.org when your 1098-T form becomes available.
- Students with an active UCINetID and password must login to UCI's Zot!Portal . Once there, find the 1098-T app on the Student > Finances tab.
- Division of Continuing Education (DCE) students should login to the My Account portal and click “Download IRS Form 1098-T.”
- UCEAP students, separated UCI students, or students from another UC campus should visit Accessing your 1098-T form at the University of California, Office of the President (UCOP) for login instructions.
- Updating your name - Complete the “Request for Name Change” fillable form and assemble the supporting documentation required by the University Registrar at http://www.reg.uci.edu/request/changename.html. Make sure that your UCI student ID number appears on all paperwork.
- Updating SSN/ITIN - Download IRS Form W-9S at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9s.pdf. This is a fillable form, so opening the file with Adobe Reader allows you to type into the shaded fields and to save the completed form. Complete Part I “Student or Borrower Identification” with your correct information, including your 9-digit SSN/ITIN in the spaces marked “Taxpayer Identification Number.” You are not required to sign the document. Enter your UCI student ID number in Part III, under “Tuition account number".
- For more information on using a fill-in form, see https://www.irs.gov/help/downloading-and-printing.
All documents must be submitted to the University Registrar. For privacy and security reasons, it is recommended that student records are sent to the UCI Registrar by postal mail or fax.
- By postal mail:
- UCI Registrar Office
- 215 Aldrich Hall, Irvine, CA 92697
- By fax: 949.824.7896
DO NOT send updates to Campus Billing & Collections, Payment Services, or the TRA Team. All updates must go to the Registrar's office.
For 2020 reporting, complete your updates by Friday, December 11, 2020 (the last day of instruction for 2020 FALL Quarter). Allow at least 1-2 business days for processing your documents. Late updates will be accepted, but will not necessarily be on file in time for the automated 1098-T production.
Student information updates are mandatory. The University is required by federal law to report your legal name and matching SSN/ITIN to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) pursuant to the reporting requirements imposed by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Both the University and the IRS will use the student information you supply to verify your identity. This notification is provided to you as required by the Federal Privacy Act of 1974.