Student Financial Services

Updating Your 1098-T Student Information

Section 1

Under Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC), you are required to provide UCI with the following personal identification information for 1098-T tax reporting:

  • Your current legal name AND
  • The matching Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), as issued by the U.S. government.  (An ITIN is an alternative tax processing number, assigned by the IRS to a person who is not eligible for a SSN.)

You are responsible for keeping your UCI student records current with the Registrar, by UPDATING (adding or changing) your name and SSN/ITIN according to your personal situation.  If identifying information is missing or incorrect, or your name does not match with the SSN/ITIN, then the IRS may levy penalties to you under IRC Section 6723.

To comply with IRS requirements, UCI sends two requests annually for updates to your student information.  For tax year 2018, a “UCI REQUEST FOR NAME AND TAX ID UPDATES” request will be sent to your UCI e-mail address during the FALL 2018 Quarter. This request is sent to every student (current or former) who is scheduled to receive a 1098-T.  If you have no updates, no action is required on your part.

You do not need to wait for an update request from UCI. You are given until the end of FALL Quarter to add or correct your name and/or SSN/ITIN information before UCI prepares your tax form. If you need to make an update to your records, follow the instructions below to complete the appropriate paperwork and to submit an update.

How do I update my SSN/ITIN?

Download IRS Form W-9S at This is a fillable form, so opening the file with Adobe Reader allows you to type into the shaded fields and to save the completed form.  For more information on using a fill-in form, see

Complete Part I “Student or Borrower Identification” with your correct information, including your 9-digit SSN/ITIN in the spaces marked “Taxpayer Identification Number.” You are not required to sign the document. Enter your UCI student ID number in Part III, under “Tuition account number.”

How do I update my Name?

Complete the “Request for Name Change” fillable form and assemble the supporting documentation required by the University Registrar at Make sure that your UCI student ID number appears on all paperwork.

How do I submit my Updates?

All documents must be submitted to the University Registrar.  For privacy and security reasons, updating your student records by postal mail or in person is recommended.  DO NOTsend updates to Campus Billing Services, or to

For 2018 reporting, complete your updates by Friday, December 7, 2018(the last day of instruction for 2018 FALL Quarter). Allow at least 1-2 business days for processing your documents. Late updates will be accepted, but will not necessarily be on file in time for automated 1098-T production.

For more information please read the Student Information Updates FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Contact Information

Campus Billing and Collections is the office of record for 1098-T reporting. Questions about reporting requirements and IRS forms should be directed to, or Campus Billing at 101 Aldrich Hall, (949) 824-2455 (Monday – Friday, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM Pacific).

The University Registrar maintains your student records. Other offices cannot update your name or SSN/ITIN. Questions about submitting and processing documents should be directed to, or the Registrar’s office at 215 Aldrich Hall, (949) 824-6124 (Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Pacific).

The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is responsible for the security of UCI’s e-mail system. Questions about “spamming,” spoofing,” or “phishing,” or the validity of an e-mail address (such as should be directed to the Help Desk at or (949) 824-2222.

Privacy Notification

Student information updates are mandatory. The University is required by federal law to report your legal name and matching SSN/ITIN to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) pursuant to the reporting requirements imposed by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Both the University and the IRS will use the student information you supply to verify your identity. This notification is provided to you as required by the Federal Privacy Act of 1974.